Past Service Projects
In the past we have also undertaken a number of major projects to enhance our community. Here are just a few:
- In 2017 the Kiwanis Club of East Lansing Foundation funded grants to the East Lansing Fire Department to purchase thermal imaging cameras. These cameras, used by first responders, will a) locate victims who are ejected from a vehicle in the event of an accident, b) allow firefighters to see temperature differences in walls, ceilings and floors, c) allow firefighters to see where there are dangers on rapidly changing fire conditions, and d) allow firefighters to quickly locate and remove incapicated firefighters and victims.
- In 1963 the club built and donated to the City of East Lansing a pavilion in Patriarche Park seating around 400 persons. In 1997, the club built a permanent barbecue pit for the annual Chicken Barbecue. This barbecue pit is available for use by the public while they are enjoying the Park.
- Our club has produced a City Dictionary for new residents and hosted a welcome reception for foreign visitors.
- For over 51 years the club sponsored scout troops for mentally disabled individuals at Beekman Center
- The club has sent phone cards and letters to soldiers on active duty in Afganistan
- The club has hosted Red Cross blood drives